Friday, May 29, 2009

Homeless People on the Streets of Toronto

My roommate was telling me stories of her experiences of how the streets of Toronto haven't been safe. Today, one happened to me.

I was pushed to the ground by a homeless person for no apparent reason. I was busy thinking about other stuff to understand that that is considered an assault. I was thinking, "Ok, so, am I going to allow myself to think that this was an evil act?" I was too busy thinking about how I felt about it to think of it as an assault.

I just called Toronto Police to make sure it is considered an assault. And now I so wish I had called the police! Now that I am thinking, I am wondering where the hell I was! Duh! It's assault. He pushed me to the ground for NO reason.

I was also thinking that I have recently been dealing with enough difficult stuff to let this get to me. Frankly, emotionally, this was a small thing for me to be angry at.

I am a little amazed at how your focus can change how you view a situation. My focus was on myself and how I felt about it. My focus was on making sure that I stay emotionally stable over this because this matter didn't need me getting all worked up and destroying the rest of my day by ruminating over it.

O well, for next time, which I hope never comes, I will remember to call the police and stay emotionally stable.

My message is: Be very watchful of your surroundings in downtown Toronto. All I was doing was looking for my roommate's number on my phone. I didn't see him coming. It is weird how I have been in downtown very regularly for years now and this happened now.

No comments:

Post a Comment