Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Good poetry makes me MELTTT!

I had one of the most enjoyable nights tonight :D. A friend and I sat in my room and read poetry of the two greatest poets in the history of Urdu language; Ghalib and Iqbal.

Do I love poetry or what!? It actually excites me. The deep meaning, the possibility several different meanings, the use of words in extremeluy creative ways, the use of ideas in such creative ways that I can never even imagine... Some part of me feels like it comes alive with such great poetry.

We were reading Ghalib and Iqbal's poetry. Here are a few snippets of my favourites from Ghalib:

Ya rab, woh na samjhay haiN na sumjhaiN gay meree baat
Day aur dil un ko jo na day mujh ko zubaaN aur



hota hai nihaaN gard meiN sehra mere hotay
ghisata hai jabeeN KHaak pe dariya mere aage
[ nihaaN = hidden, gard = dust, sehra = desert, jabeeN = forehead ]


zulmat_kade meiN mere shab-e-GHam ka josh hai
ik shamma'a hai daleel-e-sahar, so KHamosh hai
[ zulmat = darkness, daleele = proof, sahar = morning ]


There is a lottttt of Ghalib's poetry that I love. I can see myself dedicating posts after posts to his poetry.

Stay tuned! And let me know what poetry (if any) you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment