Sunday, November 30, 2014

There's beauty in people being them. When people dig into themselves, and become more them...

Part of being me means having a hierarchy to everything. All of my thoughts, feelings, interactions, experiences get sorted out based on a hierarchy. (I really can be quite a critic.)

The hierarchy is of what has/brings the most value. It keeps my life simple in a sense. It keep me streamlined. But it isn't the greatest experience all the time.

Imagine having every cluster of thought being filtered through to see how valuable it is, when detaching from those thoughts is not easy at all.

It goes like this: Feeling of annoyance because people are talking about an individual's choices in their life. I understand the value of gossip from social bonding to passing on of values (e.g. don't cheat or you will be ostracized) to venting and understanding how certain "choices" play out, In that moment, I would feel my annoyance, try to determine all the different reasons why someone might be discussing that individual's particular choice and then decide if I should be annoyed at all. If it is okay to be annoyed, how can I, if at all, get to the bottom of the issue without offending and nipping it in the bud, or leave that conversation. If it is not okay to be annoyed, how can I provide the support and hopefully still move on from that topic.

That is an unbelievable amount of work. (Aside: I think repetition of those experiences highlight a difference in values)

The basic desire there is to do the right thing - which is stronger than me.

It also means many pleasurable activities that are little less "right" based on many other considerations, will not happen. All it is is my set of priorities. Feels kind of like Super Ego.

Also: "One of the fundamental functions of the Ego is Reality Testing"

So, yes, we are all testing reality at one point or anther. 

No comments:

Post a Comment