Tuesday, January 31, 2017

My heart expands with joy every time I think about getting to be be in the room with people, creating a real bond and helping them achieve change.

Change is the end goal. But that is not the cause of my happiness. It is the way a client responds to me in the hallway, and how they introduce me to their daughter or their spouse. I remember our first few sessions where they did not trust me, and here we are. We are connecting. We are talking about real stuff. We are engaging in psychotherapy and they are working with me to bring about changes. We are laughing together, we have tense moments, we have heart-wrenchingly sad moments, there are tears, and then there is that smile in the hallway.

It really is amazing to see your clients start to do better; their smiles, their confidence, their increased engagement in therapy.

It gives me more reason to learn to be a better therapist. I have seen how I have improved through the course of my practice. I cant wait to get better, to be more effective. To say the right thing at the right time, to phrase my statements as questions, to be comfortable in my own skin, to learn, learn, learn.

If there's one right decision I have taken in my life, it is the decision to become a therapist.


It helps that my supervisor thinks I am the most successful student she has had :p (and she's pretty amazing herself).

No comments:

Post a Comment