Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Finite Suffering?

For the last little while I have been trying to understand suffering. So far, what I have understood it to be is moments of emotional or physical pain, repeated over and over. The most important part of my understanding was that these moments last just as long as physical sensation of pain. We can then extend it to psychological pain - and THAT can last a lifetime. But really, pain only lasts as long as the neurons are receiving that pain stimuli. I should point out here that electric potential in our brains (the process through which electrical signals are conveyed through a neuron) are finite, all-or-nothing bursts of electrical energy.

However, the information flow from one neuron to the next happens chemically, via hormones or neurotransmitters. The interesting thing to note about this transmission is that only so much neurotransmitters/hormones are transmitted to the next cell at once. Finite, is the word.

-----------------
Also, up until now, I equated suffering to major life events. Only recently I have really started to look at the bunch of moments of suffering that are not caused by any major life events. I will write about this more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment