Saturday, July 11, 2009

Strangers connecting...

{woman A to woman C on an RT}
A: I told a woman off once for rushing on ahead of others in the line to get on the bus. She had a stroller with her and said: "But I am with a child and I may not get a seat."

{continued}
A: I don't understand why people do that. Once, this woman had a seat occupied by boxes and didn't even let an 8 month pregnant woman sit.

{At this point, a random woman interrupts; woman B}
B: I hear ya. Once, when I was on the bus with my two kids, this woman decided not to move her stuff. I had my kids in my lap and this really old lady had to stand until I got up with my two little kids to go to the back. O darn! Do you know what its like to be pregnant and not be able to sit?

A: I have never been pregnant but I used to know a doctor who used to wonder why pregnant women make such a big deal about it. He would say "Back in University, I used to carry a veryy heavy backpack and that was fine."

B: Yeah, man. Does he not GET what its like to be pregnant? You carry so much weight ALL THE TIME ... (more detailed conversation about what its like to be pregnant).

B: So, at the time of my daughter's birth, this doctor told me "Remember the stomach cramps you get? Its just going to be like that". Yeah, right! A contraction every freaking minute for 7 hours!

B: When you go in labour, do not forget the epidural! Repeat after me: I want epidural.

A {chuckles}:
I want epidural.

B: Yeah, you know what I ended up telling the nurse?

"If you don't get me fucking epidural NOW, I swear to God I will bite your head off and feed it to you!"

And they were on the way to get my epidural.

-
-
-

It really stood out to me how these women randomly connected over common experiences.

It reminded me of what I read in a book the day before. Women tend to sympathize with each other and they do not feel belittled if someone sympathizes with them, thus the bonding through venting.

No comments:

Post a Comment